The report showcases action from across the Green Building Council (GBC) network including the 30 GBCs participating in WorldGBC’s global Advancing Net Zero programme, as well as signatories to the Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment. In addition, the report also highlights collaborative efforts from the market.
Following the WorldGBC+20 Leadership Summit, marking 20 years of the World Green Building Council (WorldGBC) network, it has never been more important to showcase the existing solutions and approaches to create better built environments for everyone, everywhere.
The report showcases action from across the Green Building Council (GBC) network including the 30 GBCs participating in WorldGBC’s global advancing net zero programme, as well as signatories to the net zero carbon buildings commitment (the commitment). In addition, the report also highlights collaborative efforts from the market that support WorldGBC’s mission to achieve 100% net zero carbon buildings by 2050.
The report includes:
- Advancing net zero whole life carbon emissions: progress from the global advancing net zero programme to advance towards sector goals, major achievements such as cities, regions & built environment day at COP26, and highlights from 2021/22 including the release of the whole life carbon updated requirements to the net zero carbon buildings commitment.
- Regional updates: It’s been a busy year and each WorldGBC regional network has been active in tackling net zero carbon emissions and supporting the GBCs within the respective networks. The Asia Pacific region is hosting the Asia Pacific Network Festival which will take place from June – December 2022 to celebrate 20 years of WorldGBC. The series of events kicked-off on 1 June with the Net Zero Around the World in 24 Hours Event.
- WLC roadmaps: The implementation of WorldGBC’s whole life carbon vision continues apace. GBCs within the European regional network are developing critical national roadmaps to guide the decarbonisation of the buildings and construction sector in their respective countries as part of #BuildingLife. The published roadmaps from GBCs in the UK, Poland, Netherlands, Spain and France are highlighted within the report.
- Trends & innovation: read about the latest trends and innovations and how they’re being implemented in the building and construction sector in the race to zero.
- Radical collaboration: the goals of net zero emissions won’t be achieved alone and WorldGBC’s commitment signatories and partners are pushing the boundaries and taking leadership action to achieve net zero emissions. We share some examples of this collaboration in action!
- World map: find out which GBCs are part of the global ANZ programme.
- COP27: the 27th session of the UN’s Conference of Parties (COP) will take place at Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt in November 2022, and is expected to build on progress made at COP26 in Glasgow. Africa’s journey towards net zero emissions is a critical part of this global transition to limiting global warming to 1.5°C – 2°C by 2050. More must be done if we are to achieve the Paris Agreement goals.
- GBC leadership action: find out how GBCs from across the globe are advancing net zero buildings within their country. The report profiles work from EmiratesGBC, IrishGBC and CCCS (ColombiaGBC).
- Overcoming barriers, renovating to net zero: as the industry begins to adopt a whole life carbon approach to decarbonising the built environment, it is increasingly clear that renovation and retrofitting of existing assets must play a critical role in this transformation. We ask our global programme partners to share their approaches to tackling this challenge.
To download the report, click here.