Skip to content
Home » Tech Tips: Underlying problems that get missed

Tech Tips: Underlying problems that get missed

By Bryan Orr, co-owner of Kalos Services

I ran a service call with another tech where the previous tech had diagnosed an intermittent piston restriction. 

I read the history beforehand and for the past several years there were a lot of assorted comfort complaints and lot of little charge adjustments in both the summer and winter, it is worth noting here the system, like many in our market, was a heat pump.

There were mentions of freeze-up during the summer and high pressure cut out during the winter which had me thinking airflow even before we arrived.

As we pulled up, I noticed it was a townhouse community with four homes per building.

There was no tenant home, so we accessed the home via lockbox and as we walked up the stairs, I was noticing the home was quite small… two bedrooms and two baths and when we opened the air handler closet it was…. 3.5 tons.

The place had 12″x12″ (30cm X 30cm) tiles on the floor and it was a simple rectangle, so we counted up length x width and the entire home was just under 1 200 sqft (111m2). Now sqft per ton is no way to do a load calculation, I admit.

But this townhouse had occupied spaces on both sides meaning the only exposures and windows were on two sides with big trees shading the back, the building was built in 2007 and this system was installed in 2016.

What’s the next move you would make?

Common Sense

The great thing about having four other, almost identical units in the building is that we can easily see what tonnage they had installed, and they were 2-ton units, which makes more sense. So, in 2016 some fly-by-night company hacked in a 3.5-ton unit rather than using a 2-ton that may have been a little oversized to begin with, given the low loads on this home.

The result is a system that is running really low airflow resulting in low evaporative temperature and low superheat in the summer and high head pressure in the winter. Techs had been trying to ‘fix’ the problem each year with little charge adjustments rather than finding and fixing the underlying issue.

After walking around the building, we found some vents closed – likely because they were blowing somebody’s wig off with the high air velocity.

We went into the attic and found some ducts unsealed, some insulation pushed out of the way and two bath fans venting freely in the attic. None of this required fancy tools or advanced diagnostic techniques to diagnose, just some common sense, some looking around and a little comparison to figure out the story.

Elementary my dear Watson, elementary.

Source: HVAC School