The 2022 Buildings XV Conference will bring attention to the thermal performance of the exterior envelopes of whole buildings.
Co-organised by ASHRAE and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, the Buildings XV conference will be held 5-8 December in Clearwater Beach, Florida. The conference takes place every three years allowing time to develop new research and technology applications and to document the findings.
“The Buildings XV Conference draws heavily on the advanced technical knowledge of all our global experts,” said Andre Desjarlais “This year’s conference will highlight strategies for increasing climate resilience and energy performance as it relates to building envelopes.”
The conference includes tracks focused on Principles (research and development), Practices (practical applications and case studies) and Residential (single and multifamily buildings). Twenty-nine conference paper sessions will take place, along with three plenary presentations, a networking reception and sponsor information tables.
The following pre-conference workshops will be offered:
- Workshop 1: achieving an airtight building (full day)
- Workshop 2: whole building testing and inspection workshop
- Workshop 3: building assembly air and water leakage research
- Workshop 4: improving the performance of HUD-code manufactured housing
- Workshop 5: introduction to hygrothermal modelling
- Workshop 6: how much carbon is in there? – beyond operational energy
- Workshop 7: DOE current challenges and opportunities and research needs of building-integrated PV systems
Keynote speakers include Betsy Pettit, M.Arch., FAIA on evolution of a deep energy retrofit; Achilles Karagiozis. PhD on 30 years of building science innovations and Eva B. Moller, PhD and Ernst Jan de Place Hansen, PhD on building physics – the key to sustainability.
The conference topics will then include coverage of:
- Advanced building construction practices
- Air barriers and air leakage
- Basements/below-grade construction
- Building acoustics
- Building envelope commissioning
- Building envelope integrated technologies
- Building/grid interaction
- Building envelope retrofit
- Building sustainability, passive survivability, and resilience
- Cost performance optimisation
- Design tools
- Dynamic and high-R windows
- Energy storage including thermal mass and phase change materials
- Fenestration and window attachments
- Heat and moisture transfer in materials and assemblies
- Heritage/historic buildings
- HVAC-envelope integration
- Innovative materials and systems
- Low energy buildings
- Mass timber construction
- Modular construction
- Moisture management, durability, and service life
- Monitoring, modelling, and simulation
- Offsite manufacturing
- Roofs, attics, and walls
- Standards, codes, guidelines, and test procedure development
- Whole building performance
The registration cost to attend the conference is USD715 for ASHRAE members (USD730 for non-members).
For additional information on the 2022 Buildings XV Conference, as well as the complete technical program, please visit ashrae.org/BuildingsXV.